What is the leading cause of death in the African American community? If you said AIDS, heart disease, cancer, violent crimes or accidents you would be wrong. The correct answer is Abortion, as confirmed by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The fact is that more African American babies have been killed by abortion during the past 27 years than the total number of African American deaths from all other causes combined!
The CDC reports that of the approximately 4000 abortions that are performed daily in the United States, 1452 of them are performed on African American women. That’s 35% of the abortions performed in this country.
The statistics are disturbing.
Remember the Baby Bottle Campaign at Blessed Sacrament? We just received a note from David Gittrich, State Development Director of Kansans for Life:
Dear Father Jirak,
Thank you for your church’s participation in the Baby Bottle Campaign. We have received your generous donation totaling $2568.18. We are grateful for the kindness of your church.
We will be using the donations primarily to educate African-American and Hispanic communities. Enclosed is a brochure that is the basis for this effort. Our plan is to distribute 65,000 of this type of flyer. We believe many women will see the help that is available and choose LIFE.
If you need an education materials for your church members, we have a wide range available. Thanks again for praying for families and for our work at Kansans for Life.
Kansans for Life has identified the zip codes where there is a high African American population and will roll out this new campaign shortly. Your prayers are needed.
Thank you to everyone who contributed to the Baby Bottle Campaign. If you want more information or to see the flyer that will be sent out, let us know. In the meantime, there are many ways to get involved:
- Learn the facts about abortion and how it affects families and the community. Invite a pro-life speaker to your church, clubs and civic organization.
- Support abstinence based programs that encourage youth to save sex for marriage.
- Encourage women facing an unexpected pregnancy to seek help from a local crisis pregnancy center that cares about her and her baby.
- Encourage pastors to speak out on the issue.
- Educate legislators about the devastating impact that abortion is having on the African American Community.
If you are pregnant or know someone who is, there are free Kansas Pregnancy Help Centers, here.
blog comments powered by Disqus