John Harris, 208-6773
Mission: To provide non-perishable food to those in need.
God’s Food Pantry, a non-profit organization located at 1209 North Indiana, originated in 1984 by three Sisters of Precious Blood. The Sisters of St. Joseph assumed responsibility for operations in 1989. Today, volunteers from many Catholic parishes, including Blessed Sacrament, operate the Pantry. God’s Food Pantry sponsors its food distribution on the second and fourth Wednesdays of the month. The distribution line, which is open during the morning hours, serves, on average, from 400-500 needy people. Each person receives one sack and one box of non-perishable food (including paper goods). Permanent collection boxes for the Pantry are at all church entrances. Non-perishable food and paper items can be dropped any time. Items especially important include dry beans, pasta, rice, peanut butter and toilet paper. Monetary donations allow Pantry volunteers to obtain food from a local food bank for approximately 15 cents per pound. Checks payable to Blessed Sacrament, marked “God’s Food Panty” on the memo line, can be placed in the Saturday vigil or Sunday Mass collection basket. Credit is given on the donor’s parish contribution record. Parish monetary donations are tallied monthly and a check for the total amount is forwarded to the Pantry. If you have time during the day, there are opportunities at the Pantry to package and distribute food to the poor.